Monthly Archives: April 2018
Welcome to Fire Safe Life,
Fire Safe Life came about as a place for Fire Protection Professionals to come together and discuss fire prevention. We searched the Internet for a website that was open to everyone and after a thorough search we did not find it. We found many fire sprinkler sites that were run by big companies and governing bodies, but nothing for the rest of us.
Fire Safe Life wants all Fire Protection businesses and Fire Fighter’s to take part. Without your help this venture will not be possible. We would like readers to send in questions and have the pros answer them. This is a place to share and help each other.
Fire Safe Life is not here to change the world, but to spread the word on how important fire protection is to your community.
Fire Safe Life is open to all. If you have something to say, a question to ask, a story to tell, we would like to hear it. Let’s be helpful to the designer, the engineer and others that might need a little inspiration. We would like advice from our more experienced practitioners to make Fire Safe Life a pool of knowledge for all.
Would you like to Guest Post at Fire Safe Life, See our Guest Post Guidelines.
This is a guest post by Dorian Adams. If you would like to Guest Post, check out the Guidelines here.
A possible fire hazard in your home could very well include your electrical connections. Many people overlook this prevalent source of potential danger and often don’t consider it until it’s too late. A thorough electrical home inspection conducted by a homeowner and a professional electrician can help to prevent fire as well as electrical damage.
Outlets, Switches, and Wall Plates
Outlets that have exposed wiring or connection points may indicate a possible source of electrical fire. Old outlets can be replaced and updated, as well as their related wall plates. Wall plates that are cracked or broken can expose wiring, which should always be covered and properly secured. Light switches that are hot to touch or make noise can also be a cause for concern. Faulty light switches may indicate an internal problem with loose connections or bad contacts, which can lead to an electrical fire.
While it may seem like common sense, electrical cords should be in good condition when in use. Frays and other noticeable damages are a possible hazard. Cords should not be placed over furniture, under rugs or carpeting, or attached in some way to the wall or floor. Extension cords, as well, have the same associated potential dangers, and they are not meant to be used permanently. If more outlets and likewise more electrical capacity are needed, it is vitally important to meet those needs that your home’s electrical usage requires. Inadequate electrical capacity can lead to a power surge that can cause a fire or at least serious damage to large appliances and other devices.
This is a guest post by Martha Newbold. who writes for YourLocalSecurity.com. If you would like to Guest Post, check out the Guidelines here.
A quality sprinkler system is critical in safeguarding a business or residential building from the devastation that a fire can cause.
In the UK, the British Automatic Fire Sprinkler Association, known as BAFSA, is responsible for over 85% of all sprinkler installations in the United Kingdom. Their goal is to keep people informed about the benefits of having a sprinkler system, as well as being a significant stakeholder in fire safely legislation and standards.
Sprinklers in the UK must be installed to a certain standard. Domestic and residential buildings currently must comply with standard BS 9251: 2005, whilst the commercial and industrial building equivalent is standard BS EN12845: 2004. These safety and security legislations are scheduled to be revised in the near future as part of an on-going review of fire safety guidelines in the UK.
This is a guest post by Allen. who writes for YourLocalSecurity.com. If you would like to Guest Post, check out the Guidelines here.
Many of us know the most common fire hazards in a home. Smoking and associated practices, like falling asleep with a lit cigarette or leaving a cigarette burning in an ashtray, is a major source of home fires. Careless cooking practices, especially while frying, also cause many home fires each year. Despite the danger of these practices, most people are aware of the risk that they pose, so they are generally fairly cautious when it comes to those things.
While it is a good idea to be conscious of the common fire starters, the danger often lies with the fire hazards that we are less familiar with. There are fire hazards around every corner, and we need to be aware of them if we want to prevent them.
#1- Christmas Lights
Some fire dangers are seasonal. The winter cold makes many of us turn to alternate forms of home heating to save money. These small-scale heating options, such as space heaters and fire places, can be energy-efficient, but they also create additional fire hazards. People are generally aware of the dangers posed by space heaters and fireplaces, though.
People are less aware of dangers that come in pretty holiday packages. As festive as they are, holiday lights prove a major seasonal fire hazard. Lights on outdoor trees, the exterior of the home or around windows can create heat and ignite small areas that can grow into major fires. Live trees prove the most dangerous fire source when it comes to Christmas lights, though. As live trees lose moisture, the dry wood and pines become more prone to catching fire due to contact with hot lights. It’s important to keep trees hydrated inside the home by supplying water at the base to minimize the fire hazard.