What is your thought?

Designer Central, This is the place to talk enigineering, fire sprinkler layout, sprinkler software and AutoCad.

What is your thought?

Postby Fitter 669 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:56 pm

I'm an installer not a engineer. I was in a store recently and saw this pipe lay out. What do you think? Are the heads on the branch lines to far below the ceiling? Did they not prove that if there was a fire below the two center branch lines, that the heat collected at the ceiling would roll down and and set off the two side branch lines and never set off the heads above the fire? Side branch line heads are 4 to 5 feet below arch and center branch heads are 10 to 12 feet below.
Attachments
IMAG0213.jpg
IMAG0213.jpg (212.13 KiB) Viewed 6803 times
Fitter 669

Re: What is your thought?

Postby Rudd Milam » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:51 am

I bet it was an early attempt at temporary fire protection. 20+ years ago in the Greensboro, NC we were doing this. The space was being built on speculation that it could be rented and the Fire Marshall wanted temporary fire protection as he knew there would be storage during the build out. In those days they did not hold you to all the rules as the thought was it was temporary. but now this is common and lots of tenants leave the space exposed and never remove the sprigs to turn the heads down into a ceiling. No Fire Marshall would allow this now.
Rudd Milam

Re: What is your thought?

Postby bmlxd40 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:37 pm

I cant believe they got a CO like that!!
bmlxd40

Return to The Drafting Board