Topping of Parties

This is the place where we discuss general interest and off topic thoughts. Anything that is not fire protection related. Sports, Weather, What Ever.

Topping of Parties

Postby dcmilam » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:11 am

Hi Everyone

Just wondering if General Contractors have a "Topping of Party" for the subs and local dignitaries in your area?
They seem to be plentiful here in the Carolinas.

A General Contractor called me to let me know about a barbecue they were having at their Topping Off Party.

"In the construction industry a Topping Off Party is to celebrate the completion of concrete on the job. The structure is then complete. A tree or leafy branch is placed on the topmost beam, often with flags and streamers tied to it. A toast is usually drunk and sometimes the workmen are treated to a meal."

In the thirty years I've been in fire protection I've been to five or six of these, all of them in the Carolinas. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm curious about this tradition in your area. :)

Dan
dcmilam
Site Admin

Re: Topping of Parties

Postby bmlxd40 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:14 am

With a lot of the bigger GC's, it was a fairly common occurrence. Now that the economy has really put a strain on some of the contractors, they don't have has much cushion in their bids. One of the first things to go are things like Topping Out parties.
bmlxd40

Return to The Water Cooler